First Blush

Reflections and sightings from [almost] daily jogging at dawn

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunrise 7:15: On the pulse of morning



Sunrise was an hour earlier this morning in Boise, thanks to the end of daylight savings time. The female Dawn Jogger thought she'd head toward the Capital building but found herself drawn back to the Boise River, this time from a different entry point along the recreational trail. She'd been tipped by some locals that there might be some beaver activity heading in a westerly direction.
No beaver sightings. But she came upon a surprising and inspirational memorial to Anne Frank. There were a number of circles surrounded by inscriptions from authors, prophets, sages and saints. In the middle was an amphitheater of memorial stones (purchased potentially to pay for the memorial? - the female DJ did not have the time to investigate). A statue of Anne Frank appeared to be "teaching" the silent stones the lessons of history. Lessons such as spoken about in Maya Angelou's Inaugural Poem "On the Pulse of Morning" excerpted at the memorial:
"Here, root yourselves beside me.
I am that Tree planted by the River,
Which will not be moved.
I, the Rock, I the River, I the Tree
I am yours -- your passages have been paid.
Lift up your faces, you have a piercing need
For this bright morning dawning for you.
History, despite its wrenching pain
Cannot be unlived, but if faced
With courage, need not be lived again."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked you both out tonight. Quite impressive DJs. I liked the bit about courage in the face of change. I love you both and are praying daily for health and wholeness, especially if Linux can help!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home